Father Chrystosom Lochschmidt, OSB, pastor from 1889 to 1902, launched the parish school that thrives to this day.
The Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary opened the parochial school for Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish on September 4, 1900, in the two-story frame rectory that the Benedictines had built at 14th and Mapleton in 1891. The parish purchased the building for $3,500 and remodeled it as a coeducational elementary school. In 1918, the parish built a three story, sleek, limestone and manganese white brick school and convent at 13th and Mapleton. At the dedication, the president of the University of Colorado was asked to be the guest speaker. An orator priest from Denver, added that Sacred Heart of Jesus graduates should go to the University of Colorado, which "would become the greatest institution of public education in the nation."
This large school served the parish well after the postwar boom, when Boulder's population soared from 20,000 in 1950 to 77,000 in 1980. By the 1950's the school overflowed.
Plans to expand Sacred Heart of Jesus School began with Paul Fife, OSB, Pastor from 1943 to 1957. The school was demolished and replaced in 1959. During the 1960's, over 700 students broke attendance records year after year. The junior high school building, a contemporary design by Rogers-Nagel-Langhart, opened in September, 1967.
Sacred Heart of Jesus School's tuition is no longer $1.50 as it was in 1900. In 1983, due to the decline of the number of nuns, the convent on 14th and Mapleton was closed. Today it is used as the parish center.
The school continues to be a major parish commitment.